Thursday 31 December 2009

My Essentials: Pears Soap


I love the dodgy etch-a-sketch images drawn on paint and here's my homage to the classic Pears soap. Pears soap was formulated in 1789 by Andrew Pears as an alternative to the existing harsh soaps and cosmetics. The resulting natural glycerine soap scented with rosemary and thyme, invoking an English country garden, has proved enduringly popular.

As a teenager I used it as facial cleanser and it cleared up the spots that medicated products aggravated. Now there's always a couple of bars on the go in my bathroom, although I've strayed and indulged in expensive varieties of soap, but as a chic recession buster Pears soap cannot be beaten.

It was reformulated in 2009 and the new formula has a heavier resinous fragrance, so I'm out to the shops today to read the ingredients on packets of Pears for rosemary and thyme and buying them up! This will last me until I've perfected a natural fragrance for making my own glycerine soap.