Monday 23 November 2009

Smells of childhood 3: coming home for Christmas



The last pungent memory I discussed was the one I associated with my Gran, it seems pertinent now to discuss the next most important smell I associate with someone in my life. Just before one Christmas in the 1970s I sat on the stairs with my mother and sister, by the telephone, waiting for news of my father who had been on business trip to Prague. Prague airport was closed and he, and a colleague, wanting to be home at Christmas had hired a car and were driving to Vienna to get a flight back. He came home with his usual gift for my mother, a bottle of what he always called 'Channel No5'. My mother likes other fragrances and I know when she wears Arpege or Coco, but the only way she should really smell is of Chanel No5. then I can be calm and know that when she hugs me I am safe.